UPCOMING CHANGES FOR IMMIGRANTS
- Undocumented people can apply for temporary legal status. After 5 years they can become Permanent Residents- provided no criminal or national security issues and they have paid taxes.
- DACA, TPS Holders, certain immigrant farmworkers can apply immediately for a greencard.
- Once you have the greencard, you can apply for Citizenship after three years.
- The cut-off date for the above is being physically present in the U.S. on or before Jan. 1, 2021.
- People who were deported on or after Jan. 20, 2017 who were physically present in the U.S. for three years before they were removed can have that presence requirement waived.
- The statute will change the word “alien” to “noncitizen”