As we have outlined in detail in the previous few entries, upon being granted permanent resident status, and allowed access to the United States, there are still a lot of steps that need to be undertaken. One of the most important ones only becomes relevant every once in a while, but can have a huge impact on an individual’s status. It is common practice that whenever a U.S. citizen moves residence, they need to update the Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days, in order to keep their address in the system correct. This also applies to all nonimmigrant or lawful permanent residents currently living in the United States. They, however, must notify the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) within 10 days of moving. This will require an individual to fill out a Form AR-11 with the USCIS. Once a move has been completed, or when a move is only a few days away, this form should be submitted to the USCIS through certified mail, with a return receipt requested. The filled out form will need to be mailed to the following address: Department of Homeland Security US Citizenship and Immigration Services Attn: Change of Address 1344 Pleasants Drive Harrisonburg, VA 22801 The document can also be found on the USCIS website, and can be filed electronically. Make sure that you keep a copy of the form and the signed return receipt, and also update your immigration attorney with your new address.