When it comes to obtaining a visitor’s visa, it really helps to have someone on the inside, and by that I mean a resident in the United States. If you do have a family member or friend that currently resides in the U.S., you can have them fill out what are known as sponsorship papers. They are not necessarily required, but they tend to help visa applications immensely, since the application reviewer will be able to see that there is a current individual who is willing to take responsibility for your legal return once your visa expires, and is willing to vouch for you as a person. There are a few different types of sponsorship papers you can get. They are:

  • Personal sponsorship. This would be from a friend or family member, and they would need to fill out a Form I-134, form of sponsorship.
  • Employer sponsorship. This would come from an employer who wants to bring you into the United States explicitly for employment purposes. They would need to provide what are called letters of invitation.
  • University sponsorship. If you are looking to travel to the U.S. specifically to attend a university, then along with your visitor’s visa application, you would need to provide all the documentation from the university that states you have been accepted to the university, and your current admission status.

Sponsorship papers will bind you with whoever is sponsoring you by U.S. law, so make sure your sponsor is someone you know and trust. It will go a long way in helping your case, though, so make sure you obtain a sponsor if it is at all possible. As always, if you have any questions at all about obtaining visas, or any of the laws related to sponsorship, contact an experienced immigration attorney immediately. The answers and peace of mind you seek could be just a phone call or email away.